You depart with your passenger and climb to 500 ft, remaining just below the ceiling. The visibility is quite good at first. You encounter a snow shower and visibility is reduced to three miles or so, but it is easy to follow the river valley. Nearing your destination, you need to descend just a little to stay out of the cloud. You request special VFR to get into the airport, and that is approved. As you pass through the snow storm, you pick up a little rime ice. You land 20 min after departure and your customer is happy. Your next passenger is waiting for you. You check the weather but there are no pilot weather reports (PIREP) for the route and the weather reports remain unchanged. The next airport on the route is reporting a ceiling at 1 100 ft AGL, and visibility of 15 mi., so the weather seems to improve in that direction.

What do you do now?

With three route options available, and better conditions reported along the way, it would seem to be worthwhile to have a look. The route over the river valley seems quite safe, and the other routes might just be open as well. The boss would certainly give it a try, and you don't want to let him down. You fill the tanks to give you plenty of time to hunt around and turn back if necessary, scrape off the little bit of ice you accumulated on the flight in, and take off for the next leg.

The weather was marginal on the first leg, and was getting worse as you neared this airport. The weather may be better 100 mi. from here, but it is quite poor here. The only real route option is over the river since the other two options require a climb to 2 500 ft ASL, which is simply not possible today. Any snow squall over the river valley will block your route and it might trap you in the valley. You decide to return to home base now.